State of Oregon: Unemployment - Frequently Asked Questions (2023)

How do I file my initial claim application?

You can file online using the Online Claims System​,or call the UI Center and file with a claims specialist.

Do not delay in filing your initial claim application. Your claim is effective the week in which you submit your application; backdating of initial claim applications is not allowed.

What happens after I file my initial Unemployment Insurance claim?

Whether you file online or by phone, staff need to process the application. This can take a few days when workload is heavy. Once your application is processed, we mail you a Wage and Potential Benefit Report.

On the first Sunday or Monday after you filed your application, file a claim for the prior week. You can file your claim for the prior week online or by phone on our Weekly Claim Line. You need to file a weekly claim for each week you are unemployed and wish to receive benefits, including your first or “waiting week.“

If there are any issues on your claim to investigate, be sure to respond to all letters or phone messages right away. Continue to make your weekly claims while we investigate. If you don’t make a weekly claim, we can’t begin the investigation. It can take three to four weeks to complete the investigation.

You may be scheduled to attend a meeting at a WorkSource Oregon center. If you do not go, your benefits will be delayed while we investigate. Depending on the reason you didn’t go, your benefits could be denied.

How do I get a PIN, and what is my CID?

Personal Identification Number

You chose a Personal Identification Number (PIN) when you first filed your initial unemployment application, whether you filed online or by telephone. You will use the same PIN throughout your claim. You will need it whenever you access the Online Claim System and to claim weekly benefits whether online or by telephone.

Agency employees do not know your PIN. If you forget it, you will have to ask us reset it so that you can choose a new PIN. You are responsible for the security of your PIN. Do not share it with anyone and don’t let others use it.

Claimant Identification Number

Your Customer Identification Number (CID) is an 11 digit number unique to you. You can find this number on any prior documentation we have sent you. If you do not know your number, you should locate one ofthe UI documents mailed to you which contains yourCID, or get a print out ofit by brining photo ID to yourWorkSource Center.

(Video) Answering your unemployment questions

What is a Waiting Week?

The Waiting Week is the first week on your claim in which you meet all eligibility requirements. You do not receive payment for your waiting week. Every unemployment account must have a Waiting Week before we can start making benefit payments.

Important: You must claim the week in order for it to be your Waiting Week. Simply filing your application does not give you credit for your waiting week.

When can I expect my first payment?

If your unemployment account is valid and no adjudication issues exist, the first week you claim will be credited as your Waiting Week(see above). If no other issues arise, your first payment will be issued in the third week. If you submit your weekly claim on Sunday or Monday of the week, payment will be issued on Tuesday. Electronic payments issued on Tuesday normally arrive in claimant accounts on Wednesday.






Week 1

You file your initial unemployment application.

Week 2
File your weekly claim for week 1
Notice of waiting week credit mailed.

Notice of waiting week credit received
Week 3
File your weekly claim for week 2
First payment issued by paper check.

First payment received by paper check.
Week 4
File your weekly claim for week 3
Second payment issued electronically.
Second payment received in bank or ReliaCard account.

Note: Federal or bank holidays will delay payment receipt.

What can delay, reduce or stop my benefits?

Benefits are payable only if you are eligible. Common issues which require investigation and could result in you not receiving benefits include:

  • Quitting your job;
  • Being fired or suspended from work;
  • Missing an opportunity for work during a week you claim;
  • Refusing work;
  • Turning down or not contacting the employer when referred by a WorkSource Oregon office;
  • Missing a scheduled orientation meeting with a WorkSource Oregon office;
  • Illness or injury;
  • Failing to look for work;
  • School attendance;
  • Being out of the area unless you are looking for work;
  • Not being willing or ready to take work;
  • Receiving retirement pay, vacation pay, or holiday pay;
  • Skipping a week without restarting your claim; and
  • Answering a question on your weekly claim in a way that raises an issue.

If there is a problem, we will contact you either by phone or mail. We will explain the problem and how it could affect your claim. We will ask you for details about the situation. Please reply quickly if you get a form to complete, a letter asking for information, or a telephone message; your benefits could be delayed until you answer. If you do not answer at all, we may deny benefits.

Continue to make your weekly claims either online or on the Weekly Claim Line while we investigate your claim.

We will make a decision based on information from you, your employer or other sources. If the decision allows benefits and you meet all eligibility conditions, we pay any benefits you have coming. Any time we deny benefits, we send you a decision explaining why we denied benefits, for what time period, how to requalify, and how to appeal if you disagree.

What if my benefit payment is late?

(Video) Oregon Unemployment and Economic Outlook October 2022

If there are no problems on your claim, you can expect your weekly claim filed on Sunday or Monday to be processed on Monday night. However, if there was a holiday on Monday of the week, your payment will be delayed by a day.

If you are eligible, your first payment is issued as a check mailed to your home. After that, benefit payments are deposited either onto theReliacardor directly into your bank account, if you signed up forelectronic deposit.Payments are deposited 2 business days after your weekly claim is processed.

  • If you use Electronic Deposit and your bank account changes, be sure to give us the new account information by submitting anotherElectronic Deposit application. If we try to deposit payments on a closed account, it will cause a delay while we reissue the payment to your Reliacard.
  • Even if you apply for Electronic Deposit, we will send you a Reliacard. Please keep it in case we ever have a problem depositing payments to your bank account.
  • For security purposes, the Reliacard is sent in a plain white envelope and does not say it is from the Oregon Employment Department.

If you do not receive payment within that timeframe, first check the status of your claim online or by calling the Weekly Claim Line.

If you call the Weekly Claim Line, you will hear menu options. Press “2” for payment information about your weekly claim. You will then hear one of five messages containing instructions about what you should do next. The messages are:

  • The week doesn’t show as claimed;
  • The week was paid;
  • The week cannot be paid;
  • It is too soon to tell because the week has not been processed; or
  • The computer cannot find a claim for you.

If the status of the week is paid, and you are waiting for a check, remember that only your first payment is in the form of a check. All later benefits are deposited onto your Reliacard or bank account. If you haven’t received your first check, the status shows paid, and you have waited at least 10 days, please call your Unemployment Insurance Center to put a tracer on the check.

How do I change my mailing address?

You can change your mailing address through the

Online Claim System

You will need to enter your Social Security number, your customer ID number (CID) and your PIN in order to access the address change screen. Your CID is printed on every document we mail you.

You can also call your UI Center or notify us in writing of your address change, even if you have stopped reporting.

Each January, we mail out Form 1099G, Statement for Recipients of Unemployment Compensation Payments, for use in filing your tax returns. We mail the form to the latest mailing address we had on each claim. If we don’t have your current address on file, the Post Office will not forward the form.

Note: Changing your address in the iMatchskills program or with the Post Office does not change it on your claim record.

How do I start or stop tax withholding?

You can choose to have state or federal taxes, both, or neither withheld from your benefits. You can change your withholding after filing your claim, but tax regulations require changes to tax withholding be made in writing. Complete an Authorization for Tax Withholding,Form 1040WH, and mail your request to the Employment Department at PO Box 14135, Salem, OR 97309 or fax it to (503)-947-1335. Be sure to include your name and either Social Security number or customer ID number (CID). ​​

Will I receive a year-end statement to file with my taxes?

Yes, if you receivedbenefits during the year. We will mail the form with tax information,called a 1099-G, to all claimants by the end of January. We do notforward the forms returned by the post office. So, if you need to update youraddress, you can do so using the Online Claims System or by contacting the UICenter.

If you have questions about how to report the information found on your 1099-G,call your local IRS office, or tax consultant.

1. Can I get my Form 1099-G information online?

(Video) Questions to ask at the End of an Interview

Yes. The 1099-Ginformation for the previous year is usually available by the beginning ofFebruary. You may view and print up to five years of 1099Gs by visiting ourwebsite​.Click on “1099G tax forms.” Enter your socialsecurity number and personal identification number (PIN) and select the taxyear you wish to view. You will also have the option to print out the form. Ifyou need help, you may contact us at: 503-947-1320.​

2. What if I received anoverpayment of benefits in one year and I repaid any of it in the same orfollowing calendar year?

The "total payment" section on your 1099-G form includes all benefitspaid to you during the calendar year, including benefits that were laterdetermined to be overpaid.

The amount(s) reported as “benefits repaid” are based on payments received andprocessed between January 1 and December 31 of the tax year. Only cashrepayments are reported on Form 1099-G. Benefits taken from your weeklyclaim(s) to repay an overpayment are not cash repayments and are not includedon the form.

The repayment of penalties, interest and other costs are not considered to be arepayment of unemployment insurance (UI) benefit overpayments. So, these types ofrepayments are not reported on Form 1099-G.

For more information on how to report your repayment of UI benefits on your taxreturn, see Unemployment Benefits and Repayments in IRS Pub. 525 or contact theIRS directly at 1-800-829-1040.

3. What if I believe the "Total Payment" or "Tax Withheld"areas of the form are incorrect?

We report this information to the IRS and Department of Revenue in the calendaryear in which they are paid, regardless of when the claim for benefits wasfiled. Some payments received during the year may be for weeks from aprior year.

If you believe the "Total Payment" or "Tax Withheld" onForm 1099-G is incorrect, contact us at 503-947-1320 during the hours of 8 5 p.m., Monday through Friday (Pacific Time). All payments we sent to youand amounts withheld will be recalculated and compared to the amount on yourForm 1099-G. If the amount is incorrect, an amended Form 1099-G will beissued.​

Can the Department give out information about my claim?

We have very strict rules about releasing information. Certain state and federal agencies can get information from us, but only what they need to do their jobs.

If you want us to be able to give information about your claim to a specific friend or family member, you must complete and return aRelease of Information Authorizationform before we can do that.

How does retirement pay affect my benefits?

Retirement pay could reduce your benefits, make you ineligible, or have no effect at all. If you are not eligible for periodic payments, it has no effect. If an employer for whom you worked during the base year of your claim either contributed to the retirement fund or maintained it, then your retirement pay is deducted dollar for dollar.

Social Security does not affect your benefits unless you do not want to work full time, put limits on the type of work you will do, or if you do not want to look for work any more.

Can the Department reduce my benefits for child support payments?

Yes. If you owe child support payments and there is a court order requiring deductions, a percentage is deducted from your benefits each week. The deductions continue until the court notifies us to stop.

Oregon Department of Justice - Division of Child Support

(Video) Answering your unemployment questions

What if I work for a temporary agency?

If you work for a temporary or employee leasing agency, you may receive benefits between assignments or if you are working part time. You must still meet all other eligibility requirements.

You are an employee of the agency even if you always work at other businesses. When restarting your claim after working for a temporary or employee leasing agency, list the agency as your employer, not the business you were sent to help. Also, tell us the reason the assignment ended; lack of work (completed the assignment), quitting (leaving the assignment before it ends), or being fired (taken off the assignment before it ends).

Assignments may last a few hours or days, or may continue for months. When your assignment ends always check in with your agency at once. They may have a new assignment for you. If you refuse a new assignment, you may be disqualified from receiving benefits.

Where can I get help finding a job?

Statewide WorkSource Oregon centers provides a broad range of services to assist in your return to work. Employer job listings, resume writing resources, career exploration tools and labor market information are among the services provided. Staff is available to assist you and introduce you to the services that will benefit you in your work search.

I filed a claim but it is not showing online?

​During times of high workload, new claims can take up to three weeks to be processed into our system. If you received a confirmation number at the end of the claim application, you have filed a claim. Once we process the claim you can view the status online. In the meantime, you should make weekly claim reports for any weeks you want benefits.

I don't know why the system won't let me claim last week.

Typically, this happens when you skip a weekly claim in error or fail to restart/reopen a claim after weeks you intended to skip. You must call the UI Center to either restart or reopen your claim when this happens.

Do I qualify for Unemployment Insurance benefits?

(Video) How an Unemployment Insurance appeal hearing sounds TIPS to WIN

We cannot make any claim determination until you file a claim. Once filed and processed, we will mail a Wage and Potential Benefit Report (monetary eligibility).


1. How to File Your Weekly Claim - Updated
(Oregon Employment Department)
2. What is going to happen to our payments? Answering your unemployment questions
(KGW News)
3. Can I get unemployment if I quit? (Maybe)
(Adam Answers)
4. Working While Claiming Unemployment Benefits
(Oregon Employment Department)
5. A Typical Unemployment Benefits
(Oregon Employment Department)
6. Oregon woman waited months for unemployment, now asked to pay it back
(KOIN 6)
Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Saturnina Altenwerth DVM

Last Updated: 04/15/2023

Views: 6310

Rating: 4.3 / 5 (44 voted)

Reviews: 83% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Saturnina Altenwerth DVM

Birthday: 1992-08-21

Address: Apt. 237 662 Haag Mills, East Verenaport, MO 57071-5493

Phone: +331850833384

Job: District Real-Estate Architect

Hobby: Skateboarding, Taxidermy, Air sports, Painting, Knife making, Letterboxing, Inline skating

Introduction: My name is Saturnina Altenwerth DVM, I am a witty, perfect, combative, beautiful, determined, fancy, determined person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.